A well-dressed church congregation gathers on the elegant portico.
Congregation Leaving St. Mary's Dominican Church in Cork (1902)
(DVD, UK, 2007) British Film Institute
Churchgoers mill around St Mary's elegant fluted columns in this neatly composed and strikingly well preserved film, which presents us with a good cross-section of a prosperous early 20th Century Cork community. The slow camera pan captures a row of liveried servants in carriages waiting in line. The film was commissioned by showman George Green and shown at the Cork Exhibition in May 1902.
St Mary's Dominican church (opened in 1839) is located at Cork's Pope's Quay, beside the river Lee.
This pan of the entrance of the church when people are leaving is quite good, although short and in the end not much special. We see two horses with carriages and a lot of fancily dressed people.