The faithful surge out of St James' Church onto a wind-swept street in Edwardian Hull.
Congregation Leaving St James' Church, Hessle Road, Hull (1902)
(UK, DVD, 2007) British Film Institute
The rapid growth of the Albert Dock made Hessle Road one of Hull's major thoroughfares. This well-dressed congregation - some of the women hold on to their hats against the wind - highlights the growing prosperity of the city's traders, while the young boys and girls glimpsed walking past the church in rags hint at the hardships and poverty of much of the area south of the Hessle Road.
St James' Church (built in 1831) was demolished in 1957.
Mitchell & Kenyon placed the camera on the other side of the road to get some distance to the entrance on this filming of a congregation leaving Church in Hull. It gives a wider more interesting picture than a mere close-up, as well as some foreground action when a horse carriage drives by.